How to Show Your Customers You Care – with Email Marketing
Email marketing is a slippery slope for any business. It is a fantastic way to deliver a specific message to your target audience and to stay top of mind while encouraging them to do business with you. However, if you do too much email marketing you can fatigue your audience. Fatigue can lead to them tuning you out, or worse, unsubscribing from your list. The best way to avoid this situation as a marketer is to make your audience feel like they have a one-on-one relationship with you.
One of the best ways to show you care and build a stronger relationship with your audience is to honor them on their birthday or anniversary of doing business with you. You can carry this out through an email marketing auto responder campaign.
An email marketing auto responder campaign is an email, or series of emails, delivered to an audience member at a specific time. Have you ever clicked to get a free download, typed in your email address and immediately received the download to your inbox? That is an auto responder campaign.
It is very simple to set up:
- First in Constant Contact* create a new list
- Then decide on what you want to offer your audience. You can:
- Provide a discount on a future sale using a coupon or promo code.
- If you would prefer not to discount your product or service, you could give a checklist, a how to guide or free download of information pertaining to your industry / business.
- If you don’t have a download, you could record a birthday message from you and/or your staff and embed the video into the email.
- Then go to your Constant Contact Dashboard and click “Create”
- Select “Email Automation” from the list
- Choose the automation that you wish to design
- Start designing your email around your offer. Make sure it reflects your branding.
- Choose the list that you created in step 1.
- Select when the system will deliver the email to your contacts (up to two weeks before their date).
- Activate the auto responder.
That is it! The system will send the email around their birthday or anniversary date. This is a simple one-time email design, unless you choose to update your offer yearly, and your audience will feel extra special when they receive that message years to come.
If you already have a list and do not have your contacts’ birth date or anniversary date that is okay. You will just need to do a little extra leg work.
- First you must go into your sign-up form(s), add the birth date or anniversary date option.
- Next design and send an email to those contacts asking them to update their information with the new form.
As I stated, this is a simple one-time design that will make your audience feel extra special and show just how much you care.
Need help? Contact me to learn about my Set It & Forget It Auto Responder Campaign Package.
*This post contains affiliate links.